University home » Faculty of Science » Institute of Marine Science » Our people » Academic staff » Dr Mark Costello
Institute of Marine Science
Dr Mark Costello
BSc (National University of Ireland, Galway, 1982)
PhD (National University of Ireland, Cork, 1987)
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 83608
Fax: +64 9 422 6113
- 2004-present Associate Professor in Marine Ecology at the University of Auckland.
- 2000-2004 Executive Director of the Huntsman Marine Science Centre, St Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada.
- 1997-2000 Founding Managing Director and Chief Scientist with Ecological Consultancy Services Ltd (EcoServe), a company specialising in ecological research and consultancy in Ireland.
- 1990-1997 Research and Teaching Fellow (equivalent to Lecturer and Senior Lecturer) in Environmental Sciences, Trinity College, Dublin.
- 1988-1990 Research Fellow in Ecotoxicology of Napier University (Edinburgh) based at the Scottish Office Marine Laboratory (Aberdeen and Loch Ewe).
- 1987 Royal Irish Academy and Royal Society postdoctoral fellowship at the Marine Biological Association, Plymouth.
- 1987 National University of Ireland (Cork), PhD Zoology
- 1982 National University of Ireland (Galway), BSc (Honours) Zoology
- Coordinate courses in Marine ecology (BioSci 333) and Marine Protected Areas (Marine 703)
- Contribute teaching to courses in Conservation Ecology, Invertebrate Diversity, Bioinformatics, Environmental effects and management, Biogeography, and Marine Science
Areas of interest for graduate student projects
- Global biogeography of marine taxa
- Marine Reserves, including benthic productivity and trophic structure, and study of Marine Protected Area networks using biogeographic and environmental data.
- Marine invasive species ecology, biogeography and risk assessment.
- Ectoparasites (sea lice) of marine fish and aquaculture.
- Use of drop-down, surface linked, video to map seabed habitats and study fish behaviour.
- Use of light-traps as a standard method for sampling mobile benthic fauna and zooplankton, including detection of invasive species.
- Founding Chair of World Register of Marine Species (www.marinespecies.org) (2007-)
- First Chairman of the International Committee of the Ocean Biogeographic Information System, the data system of the Census of Marine Life (2001-2008)
- President of the International Association for Biological Oceanography (www.iabo.org) (2009-) and a member of the International Union of Biological Sciences
- Member of European Commission Scientific Committee of Toxicology, Ecotoxicology and the Environment (1999-2000) (independent invited experts that provide ‘opinions’ to EC on scientific matters)
- Elected member of the GBIF Review Response Team as representative of GBIF’s Associate Participant Organisations (2005-2006)
- Member of the Group of Experts reviewing the International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange programme (IODE) on behalf of UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (Canadian nominee, 2003-2005)
- Chair of Council of the Society for the Management of Electronic Biodiversity Data (2004-), Secretary (1999-2004), Treasurer (2012-)
- Executive Committee of the Scientific Committee for Ocean Research (SCOR) (2010-)
- Member of the Governing Board of the Ocean Biogeographic Information System (2008-2010)
- Chief Editor of the European Register of Marine Species 2.0 (2004-2012)
- Scientific Committee of Diversitas bioDiscovery core project (2007-)
- Member Species 2000 ‘Global Team’ of experts (2010-)
- Member Council of New Zealand Marine Sciences Society (2004-2009)
- Nominated contributor to the “Group on Earth Observations” (GEO) task on Ecosystem Classifications (2006-)
- Member of Encyclopaedia of Life Institutional Council (2007-)
- Member of Board of Directors of the ‘European Distributed Institute for Taxonomy” (EDIT) (2006-2010)
- Member of Ministry of Research, Science and Technology (New Zealand) discussion group on Environmental Data Management (2009-)
- Member of Editorial Board of the online Earth System Atlas as Subject Editor on Ocean Biodiversity (2006-)
- Founder and Manager of email lists for Marine Research Information Network on Biodiversity (MARINE-B, 570 subscribers), sealice (Caligus, 260 subscribers), and environmental sciences in Ireland (EnviroNet, 580 subscribers) since late 1990’s
- Science Advisory Panel of the Royal Society of New Zealand Science Media Centre (2009-)
- Costello MJ, May RM, Stork NE (2013). Can We Name Earth's Species Before They Go Extinct? Science 339, 413-416. (Abstract | Reprint | full text)
- Costello MJ, Coll M, Danovaro R, Halpin P, Ojaveer H, Miloslavich P. A census of marine biodiversity knowledge, resources and future challenges. PLoS One. In press
- Costello MJ, Wilson SP. Predicting the number of known and unknown species in European seas using rates of description. Global Ecology and Biogeography
- Costello M.J. 2009. Distinguishing marine habitat classification concepts for ecological data management. Marine Ecology Progress Series 397, 253-268. (Read the online version)
- Costello M.J. 2009. How sea lice from salmon farms may cause wild salmonid declines in Europe and North America. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 276, 3385-3394.
- Costello M.J. 2009 Motivation of online data publication. BioScience 59 (5), 418-427. (Read the online version)
- Costello M.J. 2009. The global economic cost of sea lice to the salmonid farming industry. Journal of Fish Diseases 32, 115-118.
- Atalah J.5, Otto S.5, Anderson M.2, Costello M.J., Lenz M, Wahl M. 2007 Temporal variance of disturbance did not affect diversity and structure of a marine fouling community in north-eastern New Zealand. Marine Biology 153 (2), 199-211.
- Atalah J.5, Costello M.J., Anderson M.2 2007 Temporal variability and intensity of grazing: a mesocosm experiment. Marine Ecology Progress Series 341, 15-24.
- Costello M.J. 2006. Ecology of sea lice parasitic on farmed and wild fish. Trends in Parasitology 22 (10), 475-483.
- Costello, M.J., Vanden Berghe E. 2006. "Ocean Biodiversity Informatics" enabling a new era in marine biology research and management. Marine Ecology Progress Series 316, 203-214. (Read the online version)
- Costello, M.J., Emblow C.S., Bouchet P. and Legakis A. 2006. European marine biodiversity inventory and taxonomic resources: state of the art and gaps in knowledge. Marine Ecology Progress Series 316, 257-268. (Read the online version)
- Mora, C.1, Andréfouët S., Costello M.J., Kranenburg C., Rollo A., Veron J., Gaston K.J., Myers R.A. 2006. Coral reefs and the global network of Marine Protected Areas. Science 312, 1750-1751. Supporting online material (Read the online version)
Publications List (August 2010) (148 KB PDF)
Related departments and institutions