Institute of Marine Science
Dr Craig Radford
PhD Auckland (2008)
MSc Canterbury (2003)
BSc Waikato (2000)
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 83620
My research interests are varied and include sensory physiology of fish (including sharks) and crustaceans, vocal communication in fish, recruitment processes in fish and crustaceans and the biological role of underwater sound.
I am particularly interested in the sensory physiology in fish which has been the basis of two productive international collaborators Professor Dennis Higgs (University of Windsor, Canada) and Professor Allen Mensinger (Marine Biological Laboratory, USA). My other interest is in the biological role of ambient underwater sound and in particularly the role of soundscape ecology in the marine environment.
Some examples of current projects are; the role the lateral line plays in fish sound source localisation, vocalising behaviour of the New Zealand Bigeye, using passive acoustics as a environmental monitoring tool, and the role of acoustics in the competitive patch foraging between large pelagic predators.
Postgraduate research opportunities
- Role of the lateral line in sound source localisation
- Multisensory processing of sensory cues in fish
- Ontogenetic hearing abilities of crustaceans
- Animal acoustic communication – characterising fish sounds and their context
- Effects of anthropogenic noise on the biological role of ambient underwater sounds
- Using passive acoustic recording as an environmental monitoring technique
- Shallow water sound propagation
- Using genetics and morphology to phylogenetically characterise the family Pempheridae
- Using microCT and MRI as tools to characterise sensory structures in fish
Current post-graduate projects
- Influence of anthropogenic sound on crab behaviour, Matt Pine – PhD
- Using passive acoustics as an environmental monitoring tool – Sydney Harris MSc
Past postgraduate projects
- Larval settlement dynamics of snapper, Carina Sim-Smith – PhD
- Ontogenetic hearing development in fish, Paul Caiger - MSc
- Fish Vocalisation: Understanding its biological role from temporal and spatial characteristics, Shahriman Ghazali – PhD
- Ambient underwater sound: measuring the importance of spatial variability and its effect on late-stage larval crabs, Jenni Stanley – PhD
- The influence of habitat type on fish recruitment to standard monitoring unitsin northern New Zealand, Philippa Kohn - MSc
- Montgomery, J.C. & Radford, C.A. In press. Contributions of the Leigh Marine Laboratory to Marine Science, 1962-2012: Sensory Neuroethology. NZ Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research.
- Radford, C.A., Montgomery, J.C. Caiger, P.C., Higgs, D.M. 2013. Evidence for enhanced hearing ability in the New Zealand bigeye, Pempheris adspersa. Biology Letters 9: 20130163
- Caiger, P.C., Montgomery, J.C., Bruce, M., Lu, J., Radford, C.A. 2013. A proposed mechanism for the observed ontogenetic improvement in the hearing ability of hapuka (Polyprion oxygeneios). Journal of Comparative Physiology 199: 653-661.
- Sim-Smith, C.J., Jeffs, A.G., Radford, C.A. 2013. Balancing the odds: The relationship between growth and energy storage in juvenile snapper, Chrysophrys auratus (Sparidae). Marine and Freshwater Research dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF12345.
- Sim-Smith, C.J., Jeffs, A.G., Radford, C.A. 2013. Environmental influences on the larval recruitment dynamics of snapper, Chrysophrys auratus (Sparidae). Marine and Freshwater Research dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF12255.
- Higgs, D.M., Radford, C.A. 2013. The contribution of the lateral line to “hearing” in fish. Journal of Experimental Biology, 216: 1484-1490.
- Lecchini, D., Waqalevu, V.P., Parmentier, E., Radford, C.A., Banaigs, B. 2013. Preference of fish larvae for coral above algal water cues: Potential implications in the context of coral reef degradation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 475: 303-307.
- Pine, M.K., Jeffs, A.G., Radford, C.A. 2013. The torment beneath. Planning Quarterly 188: 15-19.
- Radford, C.A., Montgomery, J.C., Caiger. P., Higgs, D.M. 2012. Pressure and particle motion detection in fish: a re-examination of salient auditory cues in teleosts. Journal of Experimental Biology 215: 3429-3435.
- Radford, C.A., Sim-Smith, C.S., Jeffs, A.G. 2012. Can larval snapper, Chrysphrys auratus smell their home. Marine and Freshwater Research 63:898-904.
- Caiger, P.C., Montgomery, J.C., Radford, C.A. 2012. Physiological effects of low-intensity noise exposure on the hearing thresholds of juvenile snapper (Pagrus auratus). Marine Ecology Progress Series 466: 225-232.
- Pine, M.K., Jeffs, A.G., Radford, C.A. 2012. Turbine sound may influence the metamorphosis behaviour of estuarine crab megalopae. PLoS ONE 7(12): e51790.
- Santos, R., Radford, C.A., Poupin, J., Brie, C., Mills, S.A., Galzin, R., Lecchini, D. 2012. Temporal patterns in post-larval supply of two crustacean taxa in Rangiroa Atoll, French Polynesia. Fisheries Science 78: 75-80.
- Sim-Smith, C.J., Jeffs, A.G., Radford, C.A. 2012. Localised spawning omission in snapper, Chrysophrys auratus (Sparidae). Marine and Freshwater Research 63(2): 150-159.
- Sim-Smith, C.J., Jeffs, A.G., Radford, C.A. 2012. Variation in the growth of larval and juvenile snapper, Chrysophrys auratus (Sparidae). Marine and Freshwater Research 63: 1231-1243.
- Stanley, J. A., Radford, C. A., Jeffs, A. G. 2012. Location, location, location – finding a suitable home in amongst the noise. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 279: 3622-3621
- Stanley, J. A., Radford, C. A., Jeffs, A. G. 2012. Effects of underwater noise on larval settlement. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 730: 371-374.
- Radford, C.A., Stanley, J.A., Simpson, S.D., Jeffs, A.G. 2011. Habitat specific reef sounds influence the nocturnal relocation of juvenile coral reef fish. Coral Reefs 30:295-305.
- Radford, C.A., Tindle, C.T., Montgomery, J.C., Jeffs, A.G. 2011. Reef effect zone extends the range at which larval fish may detect reefs. Marine Ecology Progress Series 438: 167-174.
- Stanley, J.A., Radford, C.A., Jeffs, A.G. 2011. Behavioural response thresholds in New Zealand crab megalopae to ambient underwater sound. PLoS ONE 6(12): e28572.
- Radford, C.A., Jeffs, A.G., Tindle, C.T., Stanley, J.A., Montgomery, J.C. 2010. Localised coastal habitats have distinct underwater sound signatures. Marine Ecology Progress Series 401: 21-29.
- Stanley, J., Radford, C., Jeffs, A. 2010. Induction of settlement in crab megalopae by ambient underwater reef sound. Behavioural Ecology 21: 113-120.
Related departments and institutions